The Mills House 2


Was built ca 1890, and is Queen Anne style, with wonderful orange pressed brick, dominated by an unusual central tower. It is one of the very few large houses built in the historic Cottage Hill District during the latter part of the 1800s. Many pre-Civil War mansions were constructed up there, but after the conflict ended,the District became the domain of cottages built by the railroad workers, carpenters, clerks and the like. The original owner, Alfonso Mills, moved South in the late 1870s, and in Montgomery he became a successful cattleman, developer and building contractor. He built this house for himself, and it is said to be Montgomery’s very first utilization of brick-veneer construction. Besides that, Mills installed the city’s first ducted heating system; his home has no fireplaces –astounding for that era. Around the the 1980s it was known as the Sassafras Tea Room. Thanks to historian Jeff Benton for the great research.

-Charles Humphries

Facebook Comments


Website Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

2 thoughts on “The Mills House

  • James

    Very cool to see the history of this house. We are the current owners and this property is a part of the three house network (532, 540, and 546 Clay Street) we call “Airr at Cottage Hill”.

    Each of the Airr houses serve a purpose in helping creatives and entrepreneurs design, build, and launch new products and businesses.

    If anyone is interested in a tour, just stop in at the Goat Haus Biergarten or stay at one of our Airbnb lofts.

    Cheers!

    James Weddle
    Managing Partner
    Airr at Cottage Hill
    (512) 844-4051