baptist


at 5260 Vaughn Road, was established in 1950 as an outreach of First Baptist. During its early years on Cleveland Avenue the church enjoyed phenomenal growth; in 1958 it led the State in Baptisms. During the 1960s its congregation moved East and membership declined. In 1975 Ridgecrest Church made the […]

Ridgecrest Baptist Church


at 2514 Madison Avenue, on the corner of its intersection with Ann Street. The church was founded in 1934, and this Greek Revival sanctuary was completed in 1937, a remarkable achievement, considering that the Depression was going strong during those years. Carl Cooper (Berney Walters’ uncle) was architect. -Charles Humphries

Capitol Heights Baptist Church


on E South Boulevard at Narrow Lane Road, is headquarters for most of the State’s Baptist adherents. The original structure (left end) was put up in 1962, and the right half was added in 1997. Before that, Baptist headquarters was located downtown on South Court (opposite the bus station), then […]

Alabama Baptist Convention



located on the SW corner where Calhoun deads into Pelzer Avenue. It was organized in 1949, and by 1955 it had already completed two substantial building projects. Its present Greek Revival sanctuary was dedicated in 1965. All this was accomplished under the leadership of the renowned Reverend Louis Armstrong, who […]

Morningview Baptist Church





Nee Ridgecrest Baptist, sits at 3703 Rosa Parks Avenue (which in the long ago was named Cleveland Avenue and was part of a fashionable neighborhood). This sanctuary was built in 1966 as part of Ridgecrest Baptist, which moved itself out onto the Vaughn Road ca 1975. Thus, for the past […]

Beulah Baptist Church


Meadhaven
an adjunct of Baptist Hospital South, built in 1962 from a generous contribution of Arthur Mead. Initially it was a 40-bed nursing home; a decade later it was converted to hospital use, still later to psychiatric beds. Today its grand porch for rocking chairs has been filled in, its lawns […]

Meadhaven






Baptist East
at 400 Taylor Road is a 150-Bed, short term, acute care medical facility, probably established around 1990, and is expected to become the dominant medical center in central Alabama one day, as Baptist South suffers the same geographic and economic disadvantages that felled old Saint Margaret’s 30 years ago. And […]

Baptist Hospital East



Baptist South Entrance
A huge complex, 450beds. Its initial unit was built circa 1963 by Winton Blount forces. By then his real contracting outfit had already grown too large to compete for Montgomery work, so Winton formed MidSouth Contractors, which won the job. That company turned out to be a real disaster and […]

Baptist Hospital South


First Baptist Church
…was founded 1829, and its early sanctuary was on Bibb Street directly across from the Murphy House (now Water Works). The Baptists gave that up in 1908 and moved into their new building up the hill on Perry Street. That sanctuary (pictured above) was started in 1905, but lack of […]

First Baptist Church