Religious



1
At the intersection of South Court and our derelict Southern Boulevard. Fifty years ago there was no Interstate route thru Montgomery, and this was the highway travel path. Montgomery’s center of commercial and construction activity was along this strip, and the “88” was the keenest structure in the area. It […]

88 Building




It was founded in the early 1920s, positioned midway between the then mature Highland Avenue neighborhoods (made possible by the electric streetcar), and the new suburb of Cloverdale (made possible by the availability of the automobile). In 1930 it was called Mulberry St Presbyterian, and was listed as one of […]

Oak Park Presbyterian Church


Nee Ridgecrest Baptist, sits at 3703 Rosa Parks Avenue (which in the long ago was named Cleveland Avenue and was part of a fashionable neighborhood). This sanctuary was built in 1966 as part of Ridgecrest Baptist, which moved itself out onto the Vaughn Road ca 1975. Thus, for the past […]

Beulah Baptist Church








John Knox
at 4401 Narrow Lane Road, opened in 1970 as a new concept in elder-care. It was built by the East Alabama Presbytery, using some kind of Federal grant, offering “Christian care” assisted living apartments for retired people. A highly rated skilled nursing facility was added in 1976, and a dementia […]

John Knox Manor



















Kahl Montgomery
…meaning Jewish Congregation of Montgomery, was chartered in 1852. The Kahl completed this Romanesque Revival structure on Catoma Street in 1862, even as the Civil War raged, using the design of a Philadelphia architect. The Lehman brothers, who had started a most successful store and cotton exchange in Montgomery, worshiped […]

Kahl Montgomery



St Johns Episcopal
…at 113 Madison Avenue, was organized circa 1834, but its present sanctuary was constructed some 20 years later, in what might be called the “Episcopal Style”, foregoing the popular Greek and Romanesque Revival styles in favor of a more spiritual Gothic. It is truly a downtown landmark; its spire reaches […]

St. John’s Episcopal Church


Church of the Ascension
…at the corner of McDonough and Clayton Streets was established in 1909, supposedly for some 50 communicants of St John’s Episcopal that lived in the new suburb south of South Street (now I-85). Many of the transfers were not really effective until Genetta Ditch (Julia Street) flooded and the reluctant […]

Church of the Ascension